Practitioners working with students who have special educational needs: Teachers, SENCOs, teacher aides, therapists, RTLBs and specialist teachers.
About the workshop:
This full day workshop will be a fun, interactive and practical approach to learning what skills and concepts are required in order for a child to develop functional language, why each of these skills are important and how these skills can be taught in the classroom setting.
1. Cover and discuss the three areas of language development, i.e.:
- The Preverbal Skills of Language - Looking at people - (facial awareness); Attending, concentrating and anticipating; Looking around at things - (visual awareness); Listening to sounds- (auditory awareness); Copying actions - (imitation of actions); Copying sounds made - (imitation of sounds); Waiting and taking turns; Awareness and control of the face and mouth muscles.
- The Building Bricks of Language - Nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, negatives, basic concept of time, cause and effect, sequencing skills, emotions, and ‘asking questions’.
- The Skills of Conversation - Looking politely at people and standing at an appropriate distance; Looking carefully in order to see the important things; Listening attentively and remembering what has been heard; Waiting, listening to others and recalling information given; Speaking clearly; Asking and answering conversational questions.
2. Demonstrate ways of teaching these skills within the classroom setting.
What others have said about this workshop:
All Ministry of Education, Special Education Advisors and RTLBs need to hear this. Teacher, Auckland
As a SENCO – I can use information with children throughout the school – awesome! I can incorporate language goals through the day. SENCO, Auckland
The common sense, down to earth practical approach and the structure of the delivery. It was clear, concise with practical suggestions. Teacher, Auckland
Excellent course and thanks. RTLB, Auckland
Fantastic workshop, learnt a great deal. More, more, more!! Teacher, Auckland
Before booking, please have the following information ready:
- Purchase Order Number (if required)
- Name / email address of person to invoice
- Names / emails addresses of delegates
- Special dietary requirements (if applicable)
When and where?
Francesca is a speech-language therapist who has worked for over 30 years with children with speech and language delays or disorders. She has worked in the area of early intervention as well as with school aged children. Francesca has also worked in a school for children with cerebral palsy in Malaysia and as a speech-language therapist for a school district in Canada. She has been a lecturer to speech-language therapy students, at Massey University, Albany. Francesca is also author of the book, classroom ‘A Spectrum of Light, Inspirational Interviews with families affected by Autism’, published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London, U.K.
Click below if you need somewhere to stay